Placer County Young Republicans

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Richard Riordan Resigns as Secretary of Education

Statement by Governor Schwarzenegger Regarding the Resignation of Richard Riordan as Secretary for Education

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today made the following statement regarding the resignation of Secretary for Education Richard Riordan:
"With deep regret I have accepted Richard Riordan's resignation as my Secretary of Education. I am profoundly grateful for his service to California, and for leading my administration's efforts to strengthen our commitment to our public schools and the children they serve.
"With Dick's help, we have been able to increase spending for education, encourage innovation in public schools, push for more local control, guarantee greater equality in school funding, and much more.
"Dick is a dear friend and someone I have always admired for his achievements, his sincerity, and an adventurous spirit that is distinctly Californian.
"Dick has always been very successful, but what is truly amazing about him is that he has always looked at the world around him to see what problems we face, the people who need our help, and what he could do to make a positive contribution. And that is exactly what he has done in so many ways, as Mayor of Los Angeles, with the Riordan Foundation, and through his fantastic programs, including after-school programs, to help children learn the basic skills to do better in school and in life.
"My father-in-law Sargent Shriver taught me that public service is the highest calling. And no one I know is more committed to the power of service than Richard Riordan.
"Dick discussed with me his intention to step down a month ago, but agreed to remain in my cabinet until I could begin a process to find a new Secretary of Education. I am saddened by his departure, but thankful for his tremendous leadership and contributions to the people of California, and Maria and I wish him all the best."
Secretary Riordan will continue to serve as secretary for education through June 30, 2004.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home